Saturday, August 29, 2009

Motor Free Month begins tomorrow!

And it's really not "motor free" by the most strict definition, nor is it confined to a month exactly, but "MFM" has a nice ring to it so I'm sticking with it. Certainly catchier than "no driving or riding in engine-powered transport for the duration of 5 weeks."

Motor Free can mean many things. What do you define as a motor, anyway? Heck a bicycle itself could be considered motor powered. Yikes. Now the main focus of my MFM is on human-powered transportation, so, no driving or riding in any vehicles that are motor-powered. i.e. no cars, motorcycles, scooters, buses, trains, planes, or automobiles. Wait I already said cars. That goes for both driving and riding, as mentioned. And hybrids and electric trams are great and all, but I'm banning them as well. Not that we have any electric trams in Ft. Collins. but if we did, well, ban city, baby. The avoidance of elevators and escalators is highly encouraged, but it is understood that it may not be possible to avoid.

Also, MFM will include the whole of September 2009, but I will start on August 30th, and plan on continuing through October 3rd, making it 5 full weeks of Motor Free life.

So MFM is both less and more than advertised. I think it balances out.

I must mention that my lifestyle contains several built-in advantages that will allow me to live motor-free more easily than others. These advantages include:

2 mile work commute. But I must admit that the 2 mile commute was and is a factor on my current employment situation. I sought out a job that was close to home. I wasn't always that way!

9-5 while collar cubicle job. I don't have to travel for work. In fact, I sit in a cubicle and write software, it's all rather boring now that I'm writing it down here, but it has advantages when considering a motor-free existence. No trips across town, or across the country. No strange work hours requiring me to be out at all hours.

No Children. Children have special transport needs. What if they get sick? Have sports or other activities? Maybe they don't share your enthusiasm for living motor-free? Could make things difficult.

Close to shopping. I live in the city, and I'm walking distance to a grocery store, and I live less than 2 miles from many dozens of shops and restaurants. It would be tough to live motor-free in the country.

Good Weather. I dare say Ft. Collins has lovely weather, particularly this time of year. Not too hot, not much rain. I'll also point out that September is a better month to go motor free than is, say Janurary. Yes that is on purpose. I don't think I'd survive a motor free Janurary! Also how would I get to Copper Mountain?

Also I'm delighted to see a news article about a German city that was designed from the ground up for auto-free living. Cracking good, Germans!

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Weekend/story?id=8440108

No comments:

Post a Comment