Friday, September 4, 2009

MFM Day 6: Moonlight Mile


September 4th, 2009, MFM Day 6


We actually did ride a moonlight mile home tonight so this Rolling Stones song is quite appropriate:

Song of the day:
Rolling Stones, Moonlight Mile.mp3


It's a nice feeling, cycling home at night under a full moon after a night on the town. It feels like half the town is on bikes now, or maybe it's because the Tour de Fat is tomorrow, or maybe I'm just noticing it more now that I've gone motorless.




We went out to dinner and then to the Lyric Cinema to see the move Food Inc., with several friends, almost all of whom rode bikes! That was excellent, but the movie was very serious and grim. Thoroughly depressed afterwards, we decided that alcohol was the way to go, so we walked over to the Crown Pub for a pint. On the way there I met a nice man with diabetes and a drinking problem who introduced himself by asking if I too had diabetes -- "I'm trying to avoid it," I replied -- he was eavesdropping on our conversation, it wasn't totally out of context. I then spent some time pondering if chickens believed in God, if they could be not just happy, but honestly happy, as stated on the half carton of free eggs from Grant Frams that we got for going to the movie. Because an honestly happy chicken implies that chickens can also be dishonestly happy, which implies a knowledge of right and wrong, and therefore a higher moral authority, and ultimately, belief in God. And honestly, I don't see it. Not in chickens least ways. Dolphins? Sure. Dogs too, maybe. I then decided that I couldn't eat any animal that believed in God. Which according to my friend Jason made me a potential cannibal, with atheists about and all. Problematic. How about not eating any animal that had the cognitive capacity to believe in God? How about just laying off the factory-farmed animals? Oh you know, normal Friday evening hi jinks.


Nothing a moonlight ride can't cure though, riding home through the faint blue light of the Harvest Moon, and Autumn coming soon.

And tomorrow is the Tour de Fat!


No comments:

Post a Comment